Big Mac celebrates its 50th anniversary. To celebrate – McDonalds just unveiled the MacCoin, a limited edition coin backed by the Big Mac.
You can receive the MacCoin with a purchase of a Big Mac in one of 14,000 participating restaurants while supplies last. The coin can then be redeemed for a free Big Mac at one of the participating restaurants across 50 countries around the world.
There will be over 6 million coins distributed in five different designs, one for each decade that the Big Mac was around. Each design represents certain elements from this period’s art, music, pop-culture etc. The front side celebrates Big Mac’s 50th anniversary.
“The MacCoin highlights:
- The ‘70s, showcasing the decade’s flower power
- The ‘80s alluding to pop art
- The ‘90s defined with bold, abstract shapes
- The early ‘00s specifically focusing on the technology that was at the forefront of the turn of the century
- The ‘10s MacCoin calling attention to the evolution of communication”
What do you think about the MacCoin? Do you believe that other companies/chains will follow with their own coins? Share your thoughts in the comments below!